Near Me is a video consulting service that enables people to attend appointments from home or wherever is convenient. The service is already widely used across NHS Scotland for health and care appointments and is now being rolled out across a wide range of public services.
All you need is a device for making video calls like a smartphone and an internet connection. Near Me is a secure form of video consulting approved for use by the Scottish Government and NHS Scotland.
The benefits of Near Me include
- Reduced travel to appointments: time, cost, convenience
- Reduced time away from work, school or home
- Easier to attend if you usually need someone to take you to appointments
- Enables you to have someone with you for support at your appointment (either with you or joining the consultation by video from another location, even from abroad)
- Better for the environment
- Reduces spread of infectious diseases
How does Near Me work in Health?
Your provider (such as the hospital, GP practice or other service) will give you a website address for its video clinic. Most services will give you an appointment date and time when you should start your video call. You do not need to download an App or create an account.
Near Me video consulting is not suitable for all appointments. If you need a physical examination or a procedure carried out you will still need to be seen in-person. Your health, care or other provider can advise you on what is appropriate for you.
You can find out more about Near Me and video consultations here.